Quinoa and the Healthy Eating Habits
Recently, a lot of people started linking the perfect body shape with being very thin, but they don’t know that depriving themselves from food in order to reach this state or even eating specific things for the same reason might take them to a different place and could cause some health problems such as suffering from anorexia. Healthy eating habits are much easier and they are all about eating the right food in the right times without dealing with strict rules or even getting confused between what is good for the body, what is not, and what is the things they are allowed to eat but should still watch out for the amount. Quinoa is a healthy type of food coming under the umbrella of healthy habits, you just have to know how and when to eat it.
Quinoa is grown as a grain crop for its edible seeds and it comes from the flowering family known as Amaranthaceae, although it is neither described as a grain and is not even considered a seed, but it is referred to as a grain most of the time. There are different health benefits for quinoa that make it part of the healthy eating habits which any person out there – regardless special cases – should follow and start to eat.
Is Quinoa Healthy for You?
Quinoa is definitely healthy for almost all the people out there, but they should never exceed the amount they are allowed to have during the day in order not to convert these different benefits into side effects. There are different reasons and facts to state in order to answer this question and prove that this seed or grain is healthy and will never ruin the healthy eating habits which you might be already following. From these different health benefits, you will realize that healthy quinoa could:
- Help with different health conditions out there, such as cardiovascular disease, type-2 diabetes, high blood pressure, colon cancer, and obesity.
- Provide the body with antioxidants since it carries a greater amount than other grains.
- Provide the body with the essential vitamins, minerals, and fiber that help in regulating the digestive system and keep the stomach fuller and more satisfied.
- Provide the body with different minerals, such as magnesium, iron, B-vitamins, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, and vitamin E. Quinoa is even considered a complete protein because it contains all the nine essential amino acids needed by the body and which it could not produce on its own.
These are some of the reasons why quinoa is considered healthy and why it might be an important part of the different health habits related to eating which a lot of people are trying to follow these days.
Healthy Eating Habits
Following a healthy plan for eating is not only required in order to lose some pounds, but it is needed for the overall health of your body and even your mind. Most of the people get lost in the amount of food they are going to eat and the type which they will be allowed to have, but they never think about it in different manners; healthy eating is all about improving your overall health, feeling good about yourself, being in a good mood, and having energy all the time without feeling tired or drained of it. There are several things to keep in mind while trying to adopt a new and healthy eating habit, such as:
- Start it all with small steps instead of putting a big plan which will change your whole lifestyle at once, because those big chunky rules will only lead to giving up too easily and will make you more willing to cheat.
- Prepare your own meals at home because this is going to give you the chance to control the ingredients in the meals you are cooking and choose what you will want to make part of your meal.
- It is important to know the changes that you are supposed to make and differentiate between the right and the wrong ones; when you cut the unhealthy types of food from your life, you will need to add those which are healthier and will work as their alternatives.
- Most of those who are trying to change their eating habits and make them healthier are those who want to lose some pounds and that is why their main focus is always on counting the calories, which make the whole process much harder. Try to think about the type of food you are eating instead of counting its calories; this will give you the chance to start in an easier way and then make it more difficult when you get used to the initial rules.
- Observe the way you feel after you finish eating because your mood will always depend on your health; if you are feeling good and satisfied after a meal, your mood will get better but if you are not feeling comfortable, your mood will also be affected. The type of food that will make you feel good should eventually be part of the healthy eating habits which you are trying to adopt.
- Make water an essential part of your day because it can help in freeing the body from a lot of toxins and waste. The eight daily cups of water which doctors and nutritionists advice people with is one thing that should be definitely followed because water will always provide the body with more energy, release headaches, and will even reduce the tiredness feeling that the person might be feeling.
These are different initial tips and steps to follow in order to make the process of adopting new healthy eating habits an easy one instead of always trying to think about how hard it will be on you to stop eating the things you have always been eating and add new ones which are going to change the whole lifestyle that you have been following and living on for some time.
Different Healthy Recipes
There are different recipes to prepare and depend on if you are moving in the journey of changing your life eating habits to those which are healthier and will make your stomach much more comfortable. Most of these meals and recipes are prepared with specific types of food, which means that in order to know the recipes; you should first know the ingredients that you are supposed to use in order to prepare them. There are some suggestions which you could try adding to your healthy meals, such as:
- Fruits and Berries: there are different types of fruits out there, but from the healthiest ones, you will find apples, bananas, strawberries, oranges, avocados, and blueberries.
- Meat: the unprocessed and gently cooked ones are definitely healthy; lean beef, chicken breasts, and lamb are from the ones mostly suggested.
- Nuts, Seeds, and Peanuts: these have been known to deliver different benefits for the body and there are some which you could choose from according to the things you love the most, such as almonds, chia seeds, walnuts, peanuts, coconuts, and macadamia nuts.
- Fish and Seafood: such as the salmon, sardines, shellfish, shrimp, tuna, and trout.
- Vegetables: we have always been advised with the green things because they make the health better and thus vegetables are among the list. From the most preferred ones; asparagus, bell peppers, broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, cucumber, garlic, tomatoes, onions, and kale.
- Grains: quinoa is definitely among the different grains which you could depend on in your new healthy eating habits which you are trying to adopt, but there are also other healthy grains like quinoa which you could add, such as oats and brown rice.
- Dairy Products: such as cheese, whole milk, and yogurt.
- Fats and Oils: such as the olive oil, the butter from the grass-fed cows, and the coconut oil.
- Dark Chocolate: this is to make the healthy lifestyle a little bit motivating for those who are not able to live one day without having a piece of chocolate that could make their days better.
The best thing about those healthy foods is that there is always a variety to choose from, making the process much easier especially for those who tend to hate different types of food and thus always deal with the problem of not knowing what to eat when it comes to the word “healthy”.
Healthy Quinoa Meals
Quinoa, as well as other grains, is one of the different healthy food types that you could depend on in order to change your eating habits from those unhealthy ones to those which are considered healthy. There are different healthy easy quinoa recipes which you could make out there, but most importantly, you have to wash the quinoa seeds thoroughly before cooking it to remove the saponin coating that could make its taste bitter.
From these meals which you could prepare, you could try making the quinoa roasted chicken, quinoa tabbouleh, quinoa pancakes, quinoa and chickpea burger, quinoa porridge, quinoa muffins, quinoa pudding, and quinoa cookies. There are actually different recipes which you could search for and try, those which you could invent yourself, and you could even depend on making the easy simple dish of quinoa along with a side dish and enjoy a healthy meal.
There are different types of food which could be combined together in order to make a plan for the healthy eating habits that the person wants to follow and make part of his/her healthy lifestyle; quinoa is one of those foods due to the different benefits it could deliver to the body and the different health risks which it could prevent and reduce. A healthy eating habit is not hard but you should always know how to start it and what you are supposed to do to make it easy and get easily used to it without cheating.