Foods Made with Quinoa
There are several foods that could be done with quinoa and which might all surprise you. We have been through the cake recipes, the pancakes, the waffles, the breads, and all the other recipes that we could understand why and how quinoa could be added to, but when we say surprising then you should be prepared to hear words like pizza, burger, and chips; yes, all the things that are considered junk or at least not as healthy as the word “quinoa” might mean to you. Quinoa is not only a superfood for its benefits, but we consider it a superfood for being magical when it comes to the different forms it could be used in as well as the lovely recipes that it could share in bringing out.
Quinoa and Pizza Combination
Falling in love with pizza is not a choice but a must; no one out there does not like the pizza dough that is filled with tomato sauce and cheese, but at the same time, we all regret the fact that we love something that might be adding a lot of calories to our bodies and at the same time eating it whenever we get the chance to. Even if quinoa could be added to the pizza dough, it does not mean that it will turn to be totally healthy, but at least you will be trying.
Quinoa, this seed that is pronounced as “keen-wah”, is a plant seed that is referred to as a whole grain and this confusion adds a lot to the confusion of adding quinoa to pizza, whether in preparing the pizza bites or the pizza crust. Quinoa is rich in complete protein which carries all the essential amino acids, and it is also rich with fiber, magnesium, manganese, folate, iron, and vitamins, making it an important ingredient in any of the different recipes or meals that it is added to.
Quinoa could be used as a whole seed, it could be transformed into flour, and it could be even used as quinoa milk, and these different forms make it more understandable for why it could form pizza and why it could be added to chips and burgers.
- Quinoa Pizza Crust
Maybe one of the best things that we are grateful for the Italians for bringing to life is the pizza, and now we are even grateful for that person who managed to add quinoa seeds to it in order to try and turn it into more of a healthy dish. The quinoa pizza crust could be easily prepared by following these steps:
Ingredients for the crust:
- ¾ cup quinoa, covered by water and soaked for 6 to 8 hours
- ¼ cup of water
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup tomato sauce for the topping
- 1 cup shredded goat cheese, for the topping
- Fresh herbs, for the topping
- Red pepper flakes, for the topping
- Once you are ready to prepare the crust after soaking the seeds in water, you should preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a 9 inch cake pan with parchment paper and drizzle one tablespoon of oil in the center then spread around with your hands until it is evenly coated, and then set the pan aside.
- Thoroughly rinse the quinoa then add it to a blender. Add the remaining ingredients and blend them on high speed until smooth and creamy. This should resemble a thick pancake batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes. Remove, flip, and then bake again for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the edges start to turn brown.
- Top the crust with the toppings listed above and bake it again for 12 to 15 minutes until the cheese has melted and starts to turn brown as well.
Quinoa pizza dough is the same as this pizza crust which is important for those who might be confusing between the two things.
- Quinoa Pizza Bites
There is nothing in this world that could take the place of pizza and it is always considered a good chance to learn how to bake it yourself in the comfort of your own home. Preparing quinoa pizza bites requires following the coming steps:
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ½ cup of shredded cheese and 2 tablespoons of cheese
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons of marinara sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Marinara sauce for dipping
- You should have the cooked quinoa ready, so preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease a 12 mini muffin tin pan
- Mix all the above ingredients together then put a tablespoon in each muffin tin.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, and then remove from the oven and top with the remaining 2 tablespoons of cheese, broil for 1 minute and make sure to watch out for them because they burn quickly.
- After broiling, allow to cool down on a wire rack for about 15 minutes then remove it from the pan and serve it with the marinara sauce.
Not all the people are familiar with the pizza bites thing, so you are not only learning a new recipe with quinoa, but a new easy recipe for pizza as well.
In addition to pizza, there are also different other don’t-come-any-closer-to foods which you are always warned against, such as chips. Chips in all their different shapes and ways of preparations are not considered the healthiest thing for people to eat, especially when it comes to those children who are usually attached to such things and love to eat them all the time. In order not to ban such things from your home completely, you could still try to add healthy ingredients to them, such as quinoa.
- 1 cup of uncooked organic quinoa
- ¾ cup water
- Olive oil or cooking spray for the pan
- Salt and pepper to taste
Directions to follow:
- First of all, preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Now place the quinoa in a colander and rinse it under cold water for a couple of minutes in order to remove the bitter taste that comes with it from the saponin that it is coated with.
- Cook the quinoa by draining it well then putting it in a pot over medium heat and then toast it for about 2 minutes until it turns golden brown.
- Put the seeds in a blender and add some water to them then start blending. Gradually add the rest of the water until it starts to form soft dough.
- Spray a baking sheet with oil and pour the batter onto the sheet. Spread the batter out to ½ cm thick with a rubber spatula, season the dough with salt and pepper and then cook for 5 to 10 minutes until the edges of the dough become browned.
- When you take the dough out, let it sit for some time to cool down then cut the dough into small squares. Put the squared chips in the oven and bake again for another 5 or 10 minutes and then bring them out for a result of crunch chips.
So now there could be a possible way to prepare the chips of your dreams and keep eating them with your kids without worrying about the chemical substances you might be eating.
The last stop for the different foods that could be done with quinoa and which could transfer them into something that is so much healthy is the burgers. Burgers are another attraction for different age groups, starting from those kids who are attached to fast food and ending with those adults who just love the taste of burgers. You might now start to imagine how quinoa could be added to burgers since you have been through their usage in chips and pizza. The quinoa burger recipe is not a hard one to prepare out there and at least you will be more aware of what you have prepared and the ingredients it is done from.
- 1 cup of water
- ½ cup of red quinoa
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cups white button mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¾ teaspoon dried marjoram
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
- ½ cup whole pecans, toasted and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 small whole wheat burger buns
- Cook the quinoa by combining it with water, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and then cover and cook for about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let it stand while covered for about 10 minutes then remove the cover and fluff it with a fork to separate the seeds.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook by stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes until it starts to soften. Add the mushrooms, garlic, marjoram, and oregano and cook by stirring until the mushrooms become tender for about 5 minutes; let it cool for 5 minutes as well.
- Beat the egg in a medium bowl, add the quinoa, mushroom mixture, cheese, pecan, oats, and soy sauce and stir them all to combine. Now scoop half cup portions onto the baking sheet and shape 8 patties, about 3 inches wide, leaving 1 inch space between each.
- Bake the burgers until they are crispy for 28 or 30 minutes and then serve them on the buns with your favorite toppings. The mixture that you have prepared might be crumbly, so patting it into the burgers on the baking sheet makes it easier to work with since the burgers hold together well when they are baked.
Moving from pizza, passing by chips, and ending it with burgers, makes the whole idea of using quinoa a good choice especially when it comes to those who fall in love with such foods that are considered not much healthy and which might add weight as well. If you still want these foods to enter your home then add quinoa to them.